Friday, July 25, 2014

The 505 Polish connection

Seriously. If we didn’t love New Mexico so much we might not come back. 
Send for our loved ones, our critters, our things and just make a cozy home here in Poland. 
You are being so good to us, Poland. We love you.

Opened in Warsaw last night. Again, assumed a very small house. Again, a very good house. We had a fantastic show. I think we have found the balance of articulation and gesture in a foreign country with our style that works. We have started playing more. Throwing in Polish words as they fit. Finding moments in the show that are new. It was so much fun. Also, this is the first theatre we have performed in that had pure, total darkness. Everywhere else has had some sort of light bleed. This place was pitch dark. It took some time to get used to but once I did it was rad. 

                                       Alex and Aaron ready for the show

The audience really seemed to like the show. They laughed a lot  and their energy was amazing. After the show, as so happens in Poland I find, people stuck around and we all talked and drank and laughed and connected. People had lovely things to say to us about the show. I met some awesome people and we had a fantastic night.

                                                          Hi Poland.


A few other things along the way…

The train ride to Warsaw wasn’t as awful as I thought it was going to be. 
OF COURSE someone had the one lone seat in our compartment of eight seats. An older man maneuvered his way around all of our luggage to sit by the window and read his paper and eat his sandwich. He was a good sport. Aaron and I spent most of the ride standing in the hall sticking our faces out the window.

There are way more espresso machines in Poland than I remember. This is very good for me as the Nescafe that is usually served is just not my favorite. I always miss a few things when I am abroad. I miss cold water (really cold drinks in general are not that common.) I miss good ol’ US of A breakfast. Yesterday for breakfast I had soup. It was a sort of mushroom soup with pieces of sausage and a hard boiled egg sliced into 4 pieces. It was totally delicious. I also often miss coffee. Nescafe is common around the world. Drip coffee not as much. The coffee here seems better than some of my past experiences. It’s pretty yummy.

Let's see... what else? Oh! We went to a show called Persona Marilyn. It was awesome and weird and cool and fun. Polish theatre fun times. 


                                               Theatre in Warsaw

My Polish vocabulary is better than it has ever been. I hope to be at 100 words when we leave. I am at about 35. I am learning my numbers right now. Hubert is a great teacher. And he laughs a lot at my pronunciation.

Oh. Did I tell you that there were some Albuquerque folks in the audience last night? That is crazy true. We’re walking out and these dudes were like, 
Hi. We live in Albuquerque.
It was bananas.

Today is a day off. We have to strike and pack and then we are going to the Uprising Museum. Tomorrow is an early train to Krakow. KRAKOW!!! I can’t wait. 

                       Szczecin. Alex is returning a chair we borrowed for the show. 

No comments:

Post a Comment